September 12, 2012

#NAMASTE VOL. 2

 NEPALESE NIPPERS & MOUNTAIN MONASTERIES

▲▼
These kids are nothing short of edible. Caramel skinned faces paired up with cheeky grins is a sure way to make me melt. The supervising teacher - classic Nepalese - packs a smile on her that is all kinds infectious. I'm nervous - what do I say to these kids? What do I do? I have no previous experience and I think my palms might be sweating. Once I enter the dimly lit day-care room and the arrival "namastes" are set aside, my fears, (along with my shoes) disappear.

The teacher puts a DVD on; a short film clip appears, displaying the importance of brushing one's teeth. I remember how ridiculous it is being a kid.


 Easily my favourite part of the day is nap-time. That docile calm after the storm that is lunchtime is a moment to treasure. These kids are little Asian monsters; putting EVERYTHING in their mouths, spitting and biting each other like it's no-one's business and reducing themselves to a pile of tears on the floor just for a little attention and a hug - but when it comes time to rest, all is forgiven, the simplicity of silence and sleep.



Tuesday, 11th September 
We take a "casual" walk up the mountain to a monastery, perched majestically upon a mound easily visible from the view from our house. Half way up - huffing and puffing uncontrollably - I realised even I had severely underestimated how unfit I really was. I didn't think it possible. But boy am I glad I stuck to it.


PRAYER FLAGS FO' DAYS! 
Six months ago the one and only reason I decided Nepal would be my next destination.


Nepal is every colour of the spectrum. Alive and vibrant. Ornate and opulent. A real treat for the senses. I try to remember the 'full monty', the involvement of all the five senses, but it's impossible. First hand experience is the only medium that won't lie. It's really something I have never experienced quite so pronounced before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment