This makes me think of El's dream dress for the Matric dance next year. Emerald green like the amazing Atonement dress that Keira pulls off so well!
Read about Corinne Day in the latest issue of British Vogue and really love her stuff. She will be sorely missed.
And yes, I am aware how incredibly Gaga that sounded, but, you see it would only be fitting to end off a year like 2010 with some stuff that shook us in our little boots througout the course of the year. The kind of stuff I'm talking about is (of course) Lady Gaga's meat dress, a few Chilean miners stuck in a dingy mine for over two months, the 2010 Fifa World Cup held in the best country in the world (sorry, the bias attitude is surfacing now), a yucky oil spill (nice one, guys) which makes me want to save the ocean in a not-creepy-way at all.
So you see, 2010 has been one hell of a year. It always makes me a little depressed and down to know that another year has passed so swiftly and I feel as if I haven't even been able to catch my breath. I remember being eight years old and my mother was out. My nanny, or, second mother actually (I love Conny!) was taking care of me for the evening. After she'd made me dinner we sat in front of the television and watched soaps, our all-time favourite thing to do together (sorry, I should get back to the point). Anyway, some advertisment came on the television saying something about the year 2006. It seemed so far away, so futuristic. A year with two zero's in the middle, I mean really, that's utter craziness! I remember Conny working out that by that time I would be thirteen years old. I smiled politely but to be honest later that night I cried myself to sleep. THIRTEEN?! Double digits?! It was just all too much. I had one of those premature mid-life crisis right there and then, having visions of me dropping dead in the near future. Now, five years on I am proud to say that I am still alive and kicking (unfortunately for you).
The whole point of this long winded story is that time is a bitch. Simple as that. Although, ironically - which is basically all life comes down to, irony - time is the best thing we possess. It can heal things that you probably didn't even know were broken and reveal things about the past you didn't even know existed. We can't even truly possess a thing such as time, but really it is the closest thing to an absoulute truth that we have access to.
I like this quote: The Swiss might have invented the clock, but Mama Africa owns the time.
So really what I'm trying to say is Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, don't be hating the passing of time, drive safely, dance like an idiot (it's the festive season after all) and just know how blessed you are to be living in this day and age, this time.
A few of my favourite photographs taken in the year 2010 -
The year 2010 has definitely been one of the most interesting years of my life to date.
This year has amounted to a few things, to list just a few:
- I am one proud South African, Mzansi is the most amazing place ever.
- The 'Kempton' part of my last name seems to have disappeared entirely.
- I have never traveled so much in the space of one year. I'm a right old jetsetter! I've been to Cuba, Johannesburg, Zanzibar and Holland all this year. Ai. LUCKY JONES.
- I've made a bit of money. It's a bit, nothing spectacular.
- I tasted the most amazing spring roll ever (I'm sorry, I had to)
- I've also met some great new people. I would name them but that would almost be as lame as 'kissing-and-telling'.
- Home life has done a 180, but I couldn't be more happy for my parents.
- I'm losing a great friend (Peggy) to the shores of Durban, but wish her the best of luck and love her lots. Hope she visits often!
- I bought the cutest, yet kitchest, shoes ever. Everyone hates them which is grrrrrrreat!
- One person this year was like: 'Ah, you're famous!' One. One is a good enough number for me. I have time.
- I borrowed two books from my future husband... I tried really hard to read them as quickly as possible so that I didn't look like the slow-reading stalker idiot that I am.
- I won stuff this year. Like, a lot of stuff. So my CV is happy now.
- I made one of those snow sphere things with Cape Town on the one side and the New york skyline on the other. It's like, where I'm from and where I'm going to. HA! Alas, it was one of those corny days. (That's most days though).
- I have loved blogging this year and I'll be sure to return to the keyboard with a vengeance first thing next year, 2011. Ai, 2011 already.
And to all my little 48 followers, YOU ARE COOL.
- ALSO: I got barked at this year as well. That was a first, haha. I hope 2011 has the same amount of magical moments such as the barking incident ✌